Monday, October 22, 2012

Burning Clay


Oh the let down of over-baking your clay creations! So much time and clay wasted! It was a blessing in disguise when I first burned a tray of my minis.

The disguise:

I noticed the usual smell of baking clay was extra thick (not good), and smoke was coming out of a little space at the top of the oven. I decided I would just check on my tray of goodies because something seemed off.

Sure enough, as I opened the oven, smoke was billowing out of under the tinfoil I had over the clay. Freaking out, I grabbed the whole tray and ran outside with it, trailing clouds of smoke as I went. The last thing I wanted to do was breath those fumes (I sincerely think they are not good for breathing!). I let it sit outside all night.

After the initial rush of adrenaline was over, sadness sunk in. It was a pretty big bummer. I had a couple things in that batch I was pretty proud of. Not to mention the time I put into those. A little later, I thought it over and realized I had put the temperature way too high instead of down to 275 F.

The blessing:

I now know to pay close attention every time I turn on the oven. I have learned from my mistake, and not to mention have gained a blog post out of it! ;)


The piece of advice I'd like to leave you with for this post is this: Pay careful attention to baking instructions/temperatures when baking Polymer clay. But hey, if you happen to ruin a batch like I did, it never hurts to laugh about it!

And you'll be happy to know, I re-did some of my favorites in that batch. Yay!

Have a fantastic day!

(Yes...that is a mini Cinderella in the picture on the right.)


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh so wasted TT The cinderella was so cute! I feel your pain!! Its like when I finally make something nice and my horrible glazing totally destroys it. TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was proud of her. :( Aww, I've never had glaze ruin a creation! That's such a bummer. :(

    ReplyDelete