Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How do I start?

You might be inspired by clay artists around you, want to do it too, but wondering where you start and what to use?

This was me. I only just started my clay crafting a couple of months ago and am still in the learning process. I'd like to open my new blog with a post containing the basics how I started, in the hopes that it will help you out.

The best advice I can give you is this: RESEARCH, DIVE IN, RESEARCH MORE. For me personally, it was easy getting started. It just took time, patience, and a budget. I started researching and researching until I felt I had enough information to DIVE IN.

Here is a "shopping list" I have come up with in the hopes to help get you started. These are the basic things I started out with. But by all means, there is so much out there, so something completely different might work better for you. :)
I currently use Sculpey brand clay. You can buy the colors individually as well as in sample packs. I decided on buying one of their sample packs to start out with so I had a bunch of colors all at once. I also bought a large block of plain white, since that seems like a very basic color to have. 



TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) and Bake & Bond are two items I recommend as well. I use TLS to make things like fake icing (you will probably see me use it multiple times in my tutorials). I use bake & bond usually to attach detailed pieces to one another without squishing/ruining them.


Chalk Pastels. These come in handy a lot! Especially when detailing food (like making things look baked).


Pottery tools are important for adding detail. I bought the above lot on Amazon.


Glaze to add that finished shiny look to your creations.


Blades to cut the clay.


Roller to roll it thin.


Mini cookie cutters for plates, cookies, jewelry...you name it!


Paintbrushes! These come in handy for things such as: adding acrylic paint to your creations, adding the glaze, and adding the chalk pastels.




Hope this helps! Any questions, please feel free to leave a comment! I will try my best to help you out. :)







4 comments:

  1. can u recommend any craft store in malaysia? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I honestly have no clue since I don't live there... I just did some Googling on it. Came up with this: http://www.facebook.com/crafthavenmalaysia but I don't know if it's anywhere near you or if it even carries clay stuff.

    You can find a lot of (if not all) the things I listed above online. Like: ebay.com, amazon.com, polymerclaysuperstore.com.

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! :D
    You'r very kind! -thumbs up for u!-

    ReplyDelete